- Only 16 percent of American households are not air-conditioned. Fifty-nine percent have central air conditioning, and another 26 percent have window or wall units.
- Sixty-one percent of households with central air-conditioning run the system all summer.
- Only 48 percent of homes with central air-conditioning have large trees that shade their house.
- Twenty-four percent of homes have high ceilings, which require more energy to heat.
- Only 19 percent of all homes use a programmable thermostat to reduce temperature settings at night.
- Forty percent say their home is drafty in the winter.
- Fifty-eight percent of households have a dishwasher, 79 percent have a clothes dryer, 83 percent have a clothes washer, and everyone has a refrigerator.
- Twenty-two percent of homes have two or more refrigerators.
- Virtually every household (99 percent) has at least one color television set. Seventy-eight percent have at least two sets, and 43 percent have three or more.
- Half of households have their television turned on most or all of the time.