- The 61% majority of the injured are male.
- Most of the injured are aged 5 to 14 (37%) or 15 to 24 (28%).
- Most injuries occur at school (23%) or sport facility/athletic field/playground (35%).
- Among males, the three most common activities causing injury are football (12%), basketball (12%), and aerobics/exercising/weight training (8%).
- Among females, the three most common activities causing injury are gymnastics/cheerleading (11%), aerobics/exercising/weight training (8%), and cycling (7%).
- Falling is the most common cause of injury (28%), followed by overexertion (17%).
- Sprains/strains are the most common injury (41%), followed by fractures (20%).
Source: National Center for Health Statistics, National Health Statistics Reports, Sports- and Recreation-Related Injury Episodes in the United States, 2011-2014